Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A fire of any size on your Chattanooga property can cause a massive amount of damage. Even the smallest fire can leave your home or business with damage that needs expert care in order to properly and safely mitigate. Our SERVPRO of Chattanooga team is the leading fire damage cleanup and restoration expert in the area and we offer our services to homes and businesses no matter the extent of the damage.
If you are in need of fire and soot cleanup services, or in need of smoke and odor cleanup services, SERVPRO of Chattanooga is the team to call!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (423) 326-1406
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.