Water Damage Tips: 8 Things to Do Before Help Arrives
Imagine waking up in the middle of the night, getting out of bed to get a glass of water from the kitchen, and immediately stepping in a puddle of water when you enter the hallway. You can imagine the gasp I let out when that happened to me last year. It was 2 am and I had no idea what to do after a water pipe had burst. Luckily, I knew who to call. The severity of damage escalates the longer the water sits and the contents stay wet, so time is of the essence in the aftermath of water damage. Here are 8 actions you can take before a mitigation company arrives:
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
If you find yourself in a puddle of water at 2 am, we are always Here to Help. Call us at (423) 326-1406.