If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (423) 326-1406

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Chattanooga Mold Damage - Everything You Need to Know about Mold: 17 Tips and Facts

8/31/2018 (Permalink)

17 Facts About Mold - Mold in a Dish
  1. Mold is alive. It's a microorganism in the fungus family.
  2. Most information available about so-called "Black Mold" isn't accurate.
  3. Mold has over 100,000 different species, and you can find it in just about any size and color imaginable. Without a microscope, the naked human eye can't tell whether a mold is toxic or safe.
  4. Even though there are so many different types of mold in existence, you don't need to know what kind of mold is in your home in order for you to kill or eliminate it. All molds respond to the same methods of treatment to prevent mold damage in Chattanooga. As an organism that's alive, it needs a source of food and a source of moisture in order to live. You can eradicate mold by taking away its water or food source. For most people, taking away the food source is difficult because mold uses wood and other materials commonly found in buildings as a food source. Eliminating the water source is much easier.
  5. According to the E.P.A., we spend about 10 percent of our time outdoors breathing fresh air and the other 90 percent indoors. Eliminating indoor mold can improve overall health as well as prevent mold damage.
  6. The term "Black Mold" commonly means any type of mold that produces toxins. Certain molds, like Stachbotrys, are black and produce mycotoxins. Still, mold removal should be a priority for most individuals, especially if you spend a lot of time indoors.
  7. Although mold isn't something humans want to grow in their homes, it is natural and has other purposes that can be useful. It helps any organic matter that has died to decompose, and it is also helpful to humans in cheese-making and in the creation of antibiotics.
  8. Molds create and release microscopic spores through the air that will grow on another surface in order for the mold to reproduce.
  9. Molds have the ability to grow on just about any surface, which includes drywall, metal, plastic, wood and glass. It can grow on nonporous surfaces as long as it has something to feed on, such as water and dust.
  10. Humans can breathe in mold spores, and they can also ingest or touch foods and other items that may have mold on them. Colonies of mold have the ability to form and grow in under 48 hours.
  11. The U.S. government has no guidelines on what does or doesn't constitute excessive or unsafe mold levels. However, if you can see or smell mold in your environment, chances are it's removal is needed.
  12. Mold in your home can scare off potential buyers if you're trying to sell your home in addition to causing mold damage that can be expensive to repair.
  13. According to studies, somewhere between 50 to 65% of households have a problem with mold.
  14. With every breath, you breathe in small amounts of mold. Only sterilized rooms like those in hospitals have no mold whatsoever. Even after mold removal services, a home may still have small percentages of mold.
  15. Although some individuals may not feel affected by mold, others may have allergies.
  16. A number of insurance policies for homeowners won't cover mold damage or claims related to mold in the home.
  17. In addition to mold, other factors that can impact the quality of your air at home include asbestos, chimney and fireplace debris, radon, carbon monoxide, tobacco smoke and lead.

SERVPRO of Chattanooga is locally owned and operated and serves Chattanooga and surrounding locations.

If you need a mold removal company IICRC Certified Firm give us a call at (423) 326-1406 Or visit our website at: http://www.SERVPROeastchattanooga.com/

Other News

View Recent Posts