Fire Safety During the Christmas Season in Chattanooga, TN
Between the feasts at Thanksgiving to the celebration of the new year, the holiday months are a time to enjoy holiday traditions with friends and family. However, most household fire damage happens during these months. Why is this the case? People are doing more cooking, using the fireplace, burning more candles, using decorative lights, and buying real Christmas trees. Follow these simple fire safety tips this holiday season:
When cooking, always keep your eye on the stove. Most kitchen fires happen when food is left unattended. It’s easy to get distracted and walk away for a few minutes. Always set a timer on your phone to remind yourself of the food on the stove or bring a potholder with you as a reminder. It sounds silly, but it works! Remember to keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen at all times. When using a fireplace, always put out the fire when leaving the home or going to sleep. Also, use a fire screen to keep embers and logs from escaping.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, the incidence of candle fires is four times higher during December. In fact, four of the five most dangerous days of the year for residential candle fires are Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day. To avoid any fire damage, keep about a foot of space between the candle and anything that can burn. This goes for real Christmas trees- the needles tend to dry out which is the perfect storm when mixed with fire. It takes 30 seconds for a dry tree to engulf in flames. Set the candles on sturdy bases and always blow them out when leaving or going to sleep. To minimize the risk of your tree drying out, buy a fresh tree with intact needles, get a fresh cut on the trunk, and water it every day.
Finally, don’t plug more than 3 strings into each other on your Christmas tree. Extension cords should be in good condition and UL-rated for indoor or outdoor use. Rather, opt for a power strip instead and be sure to unplug the lights before leaving the house or going to sleep. When hanging lights outside, avoid using nails or staples, which can damage the wiring. Rather, use UL-rated clips or hangers.
As always, SERVPRO of Chattanooga is Here to Help when you are dealing with fire damage restoration and fire damage repair. Happy Holidays!