How To Remove Mold Odor From Your Home
Mold can be a serious problem for any Chattanooga, TN, homeowner, especially when it comes to getting rid of the odor once the mold has been removed – a side effect of the mycotoxin it contains. If you are experiencing this issue in the aftermath of a flood or other moisture damage, then you know moldy smells can be quite unpleasant. However, there are a few ways you can handle the odor until a mold cleanup and remediation company can be called in to help with the problem.
Learn About Mold
Learning about your enemy can help you destroy it. One fact that may help you is to understand that the musty smell that mold emits is due to the mycotoxin it releases as it eats and grows. The more mold that is present, the stronger the odor is likely to be. Black mold can smell particularly strong, and you may even catch the smell before you see any visual signs.
Reduce Indoor Moisture
Moisture can be a major contributor to mold growth and high humidity can cause it to grow on a variety of surfaces, such as:
Reducing indoor moisture with fans and by opening windows may help stunt mold growth and reduce the odor. It is important to remember, however, that this is probably a temporary fix and that the air might still need to be cleaned commercially.
Have an Expert Come In
Professional mold removal technicians have machines available that clean the air instead of simply masking it with air fresheners. Air filtration devices and ozone machines can destroy molecules in the air that cause the musty odor and leave any room smelling fresh. This type of mold remediation can ensure that the smell will not return once the process is complete.
Mold mycotoxin can cause strong, unpleasant odors to linger in your Chattanooga, TN, home after a flood or other problem that caused fungus growth. Knowing how to handle these smells can help expedite the cleanup process and leave your home smelling pleasant once more.